September 18, 2015 Personnel Issues Committee Minutes
Personnel Issues Committee Minutes
Friday, September 18, 2015
2010 FedEx Global Education Center
Present: Chrissie Greenberg (chairperson), Clare Counihan, Shayna Hill, Chris Powe, Kirk Montgomery, John Williams and Ben Triplett
Absent: Jo-Ann Blake, James Holman, Susan Lucas, David Fraley and Barbara Williams
- Chairperson Needed for Staff Relations, Policies & Practices Sub-Committee
- Members in attendance were unable to volunteer for the position at this time.
- Student Stores Privatization Proposal
- The university received an unsolicited bid to privatize Student Stores.
- Member noted that Student Stores profits go to student scholarships.
- Member commented that Student Stores employs 49 staff members, as well as student workers.
- Members questioned the terms of proposed $3 million scholarship agreement in the unsolicited Follet bid.
- Temporary Employees and the 32-day mandatory break
- Discussion was tabled due to the absence of James Holman, who initially raised the issue.
- Each committee member will inquire of their own home units regarding possible existing HR issues surrounding temporary employees.
- Welcome and outstanding issues from previous meetings
- A class & comp expert still needs to be identified and asked to review the 10% salary cap resolution and letter; Shayna Hill’s contact has left the University; Kirk Montgomery will submit the documents to one of his System contacts for review.
- Letter to Chancellor Folt Concerning 10% Pay Raise Limitation
- The most recent draft of the letter was read aloud by the chairperson.
- Members suggested minor spelling and grammatical edits, as well as some changes in terminology.
- Members discussed their understanding of terms such as market rate, competency band and classification band.
- The conversation then moved to finalizing the language of the suggested actions.
- Clare Counihan will make edits based on today’s discussion and circulate the draft by email.
- The chairperson suggested completing edits in time to submit the letter and associated resolution to the Executive Committee for their October 20th This timeframe would allow for a first reading at the November full Forum meeting.
- The committee’s proposed budget of $600 was approved by the Executive Committee.
- The chairperson noted that the staff survey has been delayed until spring, causing her to inquire whether some funds should be returned.
- Members briefly discussed sponsoring a supplemental table during Staff Appreciation Day.
- Members suggested using some funds in conjunction with the possible reinstatement of the Chancellor’s Task Force for a Better Workplace.
- Next meeting: October 16, 2015 at 1:00 p.m. in 1203 Global FedEx Education Building.