- This event has passed.
32nd Annual Carolina Blood Drive
June 2 @ 7:00 am - 6:00 pm
The Employee Forum and the American Red Cross invite the Carolina community to donate blood at the Carolina Blood Drive, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesday, June 2 at the Dean Smith Center.
As we work together to get through these tough times, consider making a blood donation. Over the past 32 years, the Carolina Blood Drive has potentially impacted more than 100,000 patients who require lifesaving blood transfusions, including those who need surgery, cancer treatments or trauma victims. The longstanding Carolina tradition aims to help save hundreds more lives this June. We recognize that not everyone can participate in the drive due to remote operations. Individuals who are able, and are healthy and feeling well are invited to schedule a donation appointment at the Carolina Blood Drive.
Red Cross employees follow thorough safety protocols to reduce the spread of infection, as outlined by the FDA. The Red Cross has also implemented CDC-recommended sanitary measures to ensure the health of staff, volunteers and donors. Additional precautions include the following:
- Checking staff, volunteer and donor temperatures before entering a drive to make sure they are healthy.
- Providing hand sanitizer for use before entering the drives, and throughout the donation process.
- Following social distancing between donors including entry, donation and refreshment areas.
- Ensuring staff, volunteers and donors wear face masks or coverings and providing masks to those who need them.
- Routinely disinfecting surfaces, equipment and donor touched areas.
- Wearing gloves and changing gloves often.
- Using sterile collection sets and an aseptic scrub for every donation.
Presenting donors will receive a commemorative Carolina Blood Drive T-shirt and free food. There will be plenty of free parking at the Smith Center, or ride with Chapel Hill Transit. For UNC-Chapel Hill employees, time spent donating or volunteering is considered work time, with permission from a supervisor.
Make your appointment to be part of the Carolina Blood Drive; download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) sponsor code UNC. Walk-ins will be accepted the day of the drive, but appointments are encouraged.
To volunteer, or for more details, visit carolinablooddrive.unc.edu. During this unprecedented time, your generous donation and time volunteering makes all the difference.