UNC staff are invited to join the Employee Forum book club on November 30, 2017 from 12 p.m. – 1 p.m. at Bulls Head Book Shop. We will discuss the book The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. The book can be purchased at a special discount online or in the store at Bulls Head Book Shop.
Please register at http://tinyurl.com/y9wemnyq
From Barnes & Noble:
The Glass Castle is a remarkable memoir of resilience and redemption, and a revelatory look into a family at once deeply dysfunctional and uniquely vibrant. When sober, Jeannette’s brilliant and charismatic father captured his children’s imagination, teaching them physics, geology, and how to embrace life fearlessly. But when he drank, he was dishonest and destructive. Her mother was a free spirit who abhorred the idea of domesticity and didn’t want the responsibility of raising a family.
The Walls children learned to take care of themselves. They fed, clothed, and protected one another, and eventually found their way to New York. Their parents followed them, choosing to be homeless even as their children prospered.
Help us spread some Carolina cheer this holiday season! The Employee Forum’s Community Service Committee is sponsoring a campus toy drive benefitting the patients and families at UNC Children’s Hospital! Let’s put a smile on the face of these spectacular mini Tar Heels!
For more information about UNC Children’s Hospital, please visit: https://www.uncchildrens.org/uncmc/unc-childrens/?gclid=CPexqPmD7NYCFVRMDQodYpwN8g
Donation Bin Locations:
Carolina Center for Public Service-205 Wilson St., Chapel Hill (Back Porch Conference Room)
-Sitterson Hall (Upper Lobby)
-Brooks Building (Lobby)
FedEx Global Center (Lobby)
-Dey Hall (Department of Romance Languages Office- Dey 238)
Ackland Art Museum
Eshelman School of Pharmacy
-Beard Hall (Lobby)
Gillings School of Global Public Health
-Michael Hooker Research Center (Atrium near 1001)
-Rosenau Hall (1st Floor Lobby)
-McGavran-Greenberg Hall (1st Floor Lobby)
Kenan Flagler Business School
-McColl Building (1st & 2nd Floor Lobbies)
UNC Children’s Hospital (Main Lobby)
University Mail Serives (Basement of Bioinformatics Building)
-1st Level Main Entrance Lobby
-2nd Level Lobby
-HVAC Admin Office- General Storeroom
-Service Shop Building Main Entrance- Admin Desk
Finance & Administration Service Center of Excellence, 400 Roberson St., Carrboro, NC (Main lobby)
Carolina Square, 123 W Franklin St. (4th floor Elevator Lobby)
EHS, 1120 Estes Drive Extension (EHS Breakroom)
Link to Searchable Campus Map
((Please check back periodically for more specific details & additional locations))
- Band-Aids with designs
- Barbie dolls
- Books (all levels, ethnically diverse, English and Spanish)
- Colored pens
- Colorful pillow cases (standard size)
- Coloring books
- DVD’s (new releases)
- Ethnic hair products
- Ethnically diverse dolls
- Indoor balls
- iPads with headsets
- Klutz activity kits
- Matchbox cars/trucks
- Mechanical pens
- Newborn onesies
- Pajamas (all sizes)
- Pop-up toys
- Small black rubber bands and hair bows
- Small puzzles
- Small stuffed toys
- Socks & underwear (all sizes)
- Soft baby dolls
- Stress balls
- Super hero action gures
- Teething rings
- Toys from www.playopolis.com
- Toy medical kits
- UNO Cards
- Vtech Brilliant Creations, Advanced Notebook
- Wide-toothed combs
The above forms (and a receipt) will need to be turned in if a donor wishes to receive a tax deductible receipt from UNC. When filling out the forms, subtotals should be used (taxes/shipping costs not covered). If you do not have your receipt, you may submit a printout from a website showing the item with the same cost. Please be reminded that all items must be new, no gift wrapping is allowed and we do not accept food, drinks, candy or items with a religious origin.
Volunteer with us:
- Volunteers who participate in drop-off and pick-up efforts are eligible to take Community Service Leave (CSL) with supervisor approval. Please email Katie Musgrove at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in volunteering.
- For more information on how to take CSL, please visit the UNC Human Resources website.
Due to cuts to the Employee Forum’s budget, the Forum will no longer sponsor the Notary Public Certification courses (either in person or online), effective Spring 2018. The Employee Forum has sponsored this class for several years, enabling employees to secure a notary public certification at no cost.
If employees are still interested in pursuing certification as a notary public, there are a number of options:
- Durham Tech offers a full-day session at least two times per month for $95. More information can be found on their website.
- Wake Tech offers frequent sessions each month (throughout different campuses) for $85. More information can be found on their website.
- UNC’s Educational Assistance Program allows supervisors “to support academic activities that directly relate to the organization’s identified knowledge, skills, and behaviors (organizational competencies), and which support the mission, vision, and values of the organization.” The supervisor would apply to this program if having a notary public in the unit was directly related to the unit’s successful function.
- Employees can use the Professional Development Grant to pay tuition if certification would benefit themselves but is not essential to their unit. The Forum will continue to offer the Professional Development Grant, which opens to accept applications on December 1, 2017 and on April 1, 2018. Grants are awarded on a first come, first serve basis.
If you have any questions, please contact Clare Counihan (clarecounihan[at]unc.edu), the chair of the Education and Career Development Committee, or Shayna Hill (Shayna_Hill[at]unc.edu), the Chair of the Employee Forum.