Agenda —April 4, 2001

9:30 a.m.— Assembly Room of Wilson Library

I. Call to Order

  1. Welcome Guests, Members of the Press

III. Welcome New Delegates

VI. Opening Remarks

    • Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration Nancy Suttenfield

V. Human Resources Update

    • Drake Maynard, Senior Director of Administration, Human Resources

VI. Special Presentations

    • Barbara DeLon, Director for Employee Services; Anne Aldridge, Program Manager; Wanda Weaver, Work/Family Manager; Karen Bean, HEELS for Health; Susan Criscenzo, Employee Assistance Program

VII. Employee Presentations or Questions

VIII. Approval of Minutes of the March 7, 2001 meetings P

IX. Unfinished Business

    • Forum Resolution Urging University to Support and Partially Fund Fare-Free Transit in the Towns of Chapel Hill and Carrboro (1st Reading) P

X. Stretch Time 6

XI. New Business

XII. Forum Committee Reports

      • Career Development: Fred Jordan P
      • Communications: Suzan deSerres P
  • Forum Newsletter
      • Employee Presentations: Sheila Storey P
  • Nominating: Tracey Haith
      • Orientation: Suzan deSerres P
      • Personnel Issues: Mary Ann Vacheron P
      • Recognition and Awards: Karen Jordan P
  • University Committee Assignments: Lee Edmark

 

XIII. Chair’s Report (Executive Committee): John Heuer P

XIII. Task Force/University Committee Reports

    • Pedestrian Safety Committee— Sheila Storey
    • Transportation & Parking Advisory — Chris Barfield/Joanne Kucharski

 

XIV. Announcements/Questions

XV. Adjournment

P = Included in Agenda Packet

MINUTES

Minutes

April 4, 2001

(Wilson Library Assembly Room)

Delegates Present

Chris Barfield Anderson

GeorgeAnn Bissett

Anita Booth

Keita Cannon

Linda Collins

Andy Chrismon

Suzan deSerres

Sue Dodson

Lee Edmark

Keith Fogleman

Jeffery Fuchs

Pam Griffin

Glenn Haugh

John Heuer

Tom Jenswold

Fred Jordan

Karen Jordan

Ramona Kellam

Gary Lloyd

Connie McPherson

John Meeker

Clarence Peoples

Freida Rosenberg

Rob Sadler

Sheila Storey

Diane Strong

Darian Sturdivant

Bonita Summers

Joanne Terry

Robert Thoma

Elaine Tola

Betty Waynick

Sylvia White

Joanne Kucharski

Kathy Dutton

= Ex-Officio

Delagates Absent

David Collins

Tracey Haith

Jo Parker

Gail Plaisance

Cathy Riley

Wendy Riley

Tom Rhyne

Kay Teague

Mary Ann Vacheron

Chanetta Washington

Karen Geer

Laurie Charest

Excused Absences

Alternates Present

Gary Cocker

Tommy Griffin

Muffarah Jahangeer

Barbara Logue

Lauren Mangili

Cindy Reardon

Anita Wright

Guests

Anne Aldridge

Karen Bean

Susan Criscenzo

Barbara DeLon

Eric Ferreri

Drake Maynard

Scott Ragland

Robert Shelton

Nancy Suttenfield

Wanda Weaver

 

Call to Order, Welcome to Guests

The Chair called the meeting to order at 9:30 a.m. He welcomed fellow Delegates, guests, members of the press and administrators. He also welcomed new Delegates Jo Parker and Betty Waynick, and presented Waynick with her Forum pin. Finally, he introduced Provost Robert Shelton to provide opening remarks.

Shelton thanked the Forum for having him speak, and said that Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration Nancy Suttenfield would follow him on the dais. He expressed his thanks to the Forum and the Employees of the University for making the campus as great a place as it is.

Shelton described the great honor he experienced in appearing before the Joint Senate/House Appropriations Committee in the State Legislature. He, Russ Lee of the Office of the President and North Carolina State University Chancellor Mary Ann Fox each gave presentations to the committee. Shelton spoke about how the University’s budget involves research services. He noted media reports that the Governor has asked that the UNC System absorb a 1.3% recurring budget cut, which General Administration will pass on to UNC-Chapel Hill.

Shelton said that the 1.3% figure could grow given the tone of questions from legislators. The Legislature is feeling tremendous pressure on the budget and is looking for any source possible to balance the figures. One legislator asked whether University patent incomes could be used to supplant State support, a step which would affect North Carolina State most of all but would still subtract $2-3 million from the UNC-Chapel Hill budget.

Shelton said that Chancellor Moeser, Suttenfield and himself had stated and restated the value added to the State and the State’s taxpayers when investing in University education.

Shelton noted that the University Priorities and Budget Advisory Committee (UPBAC) would meet over the next few weeks to get oriented to the budget process affecting the campus this spring. The committee had sent a note to deans, directors and department heads charging them to evaluate budgetary responsibilities by April 18. This evaluation would study areas of concern, vulnerability and opportunities, and would portray scenarios facing the campus if departments underwent specific cuts. Shelton noted that the University had addressed a 1.9% non-recurring cut by cutting across the board, but he said that across the board cuts are not a good strategy in the long run. The aforementioned evaluations would allow the UPBAC to make wise specified cuts.

Thirdly, Shelton noted that vacant positions in the Provost’s Office have emerged through retirement and departure. The campus has begun the interview process for the Vice Chancellor for Research position, and will host the first external candidate this week. There are also a number of Associate Provost positions vacant, and the administration has decided to target candidates from within the internal campus community for these jobs. The University will post job descriptions for these posts in the next few days.

Shelton then took his leave as he was scheduled to admit a new group of parents visiting campus that morning. The Chair thanked Shelton for his remarks and noted that staff have a position on the University Priorities and Budget Advisory Committee.

The Chair introduced Suttenfield for her appearance that morning and at the recent 20 Year Service banquet held the previous weekend. He noted that Connie McPherson, Kay Teague, Gail Plaisance and Chris Barfield were among the Delagates honored at the banquet.

Suttenfield said that she was glad to return to the Forum. She remarked on the loyalty of Employees who have chosen to serve over 35 years on the University campus, and said this commitment and pride serve to make the University great.

Suttenfield said that the 1.3% recurring cut in the University’s base budget was slightly smaller than the 1.9% one-time cut requested in January and February. She also noted what have been termed flawed assumptions in the Governor’s budget associated with the passage of a State lottery, the probability of which seems now small. Even if a State lottery were approved this year, the immediate revenue stream would be low.

Suttenfield noted that the Governor’s budget also relies on the closure of non-specified tax loopholes. In sum, she said that it would be highly likely that the University would absorb more than a 1.3% recurring cut.

On the other hand, Suttenfield was encouraged that the State had recommended a 2% salary increase this year, but even this news was tainted by the prospect of cuts or cost increases with regard to health insurance benefits. Legislators are looking for any help possible this year.

Suttenfield noted that the State has said that it would not provide funding for higher utility costs, a step that will cost the University money given the higher cost of natural gas this year.

The Governor’s budget provides $26 million to all System campuses for enrollment increases, and $8 million for System-wide need based financial aid. The bad news is that there will be no funding for the repair and renovation budget. This decision somewhat offsets the bond construction program approved this fall, as it does not allow the University the ongoing money to take care of current buildings as it should.

Suttenfield noted that the Transportation and Parking Advisory Committee (TPAC) had seen its proposals for more options for campus mass transit approved by the Board of Trustees. She said that the fare-free transit option would be presented to the Towns of Chapel Hill and Carrboro and would hopefully begin either this fall or next fall. She thanked the Forum for contributing its thoughts on the loss of parking on campus.

Concerning facilities matters, Suttenfield noted the scaffolding on buildings adjoining Polk and McCorkle place. She said that the University would now begin a formalized painting program that would cover the exterior and interior of all buildings in the next 6-7 years. The program has begun with the central campus core upon which most historical buildings stand.

Campus administration have also began a search for a campus historical preservation manager, similar to a position established at the University of Virginia 20 years ago. This person would be knowledgeable about architectural history and would help inform repairs and renovations to restore buildings to their original character. The search will advertise locally and nationally.

Suttenfield touched on the subject of town-gown relations, and said that administrators had recently had several very productive discussions with Town officials. She said that the two parties agree on most principles but have recently had some difficulties with details. She had established a productive relationship with Town Manager Cal Horton during a number of meetings held to hammer out principles and details associated with the capital improvement program. She was certain that the Town and the University would be able to reach a consensus supportive of the University desire for growth while recognizing the potential negative impact.

Suttenfield said that she had held a good discussion with the Chair and 2000 Chair Joanne Kucharski on a number of issues of concern to the Forum. She said that she hoped to meet the request for increased space for the Forum Office and its activities. She also looked forward to holding a community discussion featuring Moeser, Shelton and herself at which members of the community could ask questions on items of concern.

Suttenfield offered to take questions. As there were no questions, the Chair thanked Suttenfield for her remarks and suggested that the administration consider the Forum a potential ally in its talks with the Town.

On another topic, the Chair noted that Human Resources and Institutional Research had completed evaluation of the health plan survey. The Forum Executive Committee had held discussions on the distribution of this information to campus. He did note that as many as 15% of all faculty and staff with family coverage would have to end their coverage if premiums were increased 22%, as has been proposed. He said this was the single most distressing item in the survey. The Chair also noted the strong consensus and high incidence of strenuous objections to cuts in health plan services or increases in premiums. The campus community will receive more information on the survey in the near future.

Human Resources Update

The Chair introduced Senior Director for Human Resources Administration Drake Maynard to present the Forum’s customary Human Resources update, and to introduce the day’s special speakers. Maynard said that Associate Vice Chancellor for Human Resources Laurie Charest was away attending the spring meeting of the college and university personnel associations.

Maynard noted the number of Employees who attended the 20 year Employee appreciation banquet, which also hosted Employees who had achieved 25, 30, 35, and 40 years of service. He said that several Employees have obtained more than 40 years of service.

Maynard said that the health insurance survey had received over 3500 responses of all varieties, and of these responses, over 1200 contained additional comments. He said that this response was exactly what was desired when sending out surveys.

The University is participating in a joint review of certain compensation factors along with North Carolina State University. A consultant has sent out a salary survey to area employers and peer institutions. The University should receive a preliminary report by the middle of May.

Maynard noted that next month will mark the end of the SPA performance cycle. He urged supervisors and Employees to begin thinking about annual performance evaluations.

Maynard said that the University is ending its search for a new employment director, relieving Ken Litowsky of the duties of acting director. The University has identified several candidates and hoped to have final interviews shortly.

Maynard introduced Barbara DeLon, the new Director for Employee Services. DeLon has served in an adjunct capacity with Human Resources and has served with the State in a variety of roles for a number of years, with North Carolina Memorial Hospital, the University’s Academic Libraries, the UNC-Chapel Hill Director of Housekeeping, and the head of the North Carolina Central University Human Resources operation.

Maynard also introduced Anne Aldridge, program manager with Employee Services, Wanda Weaver, the University’s Work/Family Manager, Karen Bean, Director of Heels for Health, and Susan Criscenzo with the Employee Assistance Program.

DeLon was very pleased to return to the University and the extraordinary group of people and services associated with the Human Resources department. Employee Services works with the Employee from start to finish, and can be said to deal with Employees from hire point to grave. She gave the floor to Criscenzo.

Criscenzo said that she had addressed the Forum once before. She distributed a brochure detailing the Employee Assistance program’s work. Criscenzo helps Employees and their families manage personal problems. Employees can speak with her for free and in total confidence, except when the information might lead to harm to themselves or others. Criscenzo said that personal problems touch most every one at one time or another, whether through their marriage, through family members’ substance abuse or mental health concerns, stress issues, job difficulties, medical problems, or depression. Criscenzo affords Employees an objective ear and also provides a referral service to community resources dealing with grief issues, treatment programs, support groups and other psychiatric help. Her services are free and located off campus so that Employees can consult in confidence.

Weaver provided a handout detailing work/family programs such as the Carolina Kids camp, which this year will feature four two-week sessions for the children of employees and students of the University and the Health Care System. Her office has already made offers for all session spaces but a wait list is available. Weaver also helps connect Employees with child care and elder care providers and other community agencies. Her office also oversees the child care subsidy program with the assistance of the Chancellor’s Child Care Advisory Committee. The University has received a federal grant to provide students with child care. Finally, Weaver’s office holds training sessions on balancing work and personal life, particularly family issues, in association with the Department on Aging.

Bean noted that any UNC employee and their spouses could become a HEELS for health member, upon filling out a medical release form. Some services associated with HEELS for Health require activation of gym and pool privileges, although many do not. Members receive a newsletter detailing health education classes and can receive Wednesday wellness e-mail messages to encourage healthy lifestyles. HEELS for Health also sponsors a number of short runs, recipe contests, nutritional, fitness and health consultations, and other wellness programs.

Aldridge thanked the Forum for its work to provide staff members to serve on the Excellence in Management and Chancellor’s Award committees. She said that nominations for these positions are due April 20. She noted that nominations for the StarHeels award are due April 30, and Human Resources will notify departmental facilitators about these deadlines. Aldridge has worked with campus departments to develop recognition programs, and has compiled these programs into an Employee recognition program handbook. Interested Employees can consult the campus website. Aldridge looked forward to working with the new chair of the Forum Recognition & Awards committee, Karen Jordan. She noted that the campus-wide blood drive would take place in the Smith Center Tuesday, July 24.

The Chair thanked the assembled speakers for their remarks and for their work on the recent service banquet.

The Chair noted that the Child care Advisory committee meets monthly with student, staff, and faculty representation. The committee has overseen the University’s child care budget, paying the mortgage on the new Victory Village daycare, handling the $65,000 child care subsidy and determining recipients of Carolina Kids’ camp scholarships. The committee’s work has had an impact on the University’s actions in the area of child care, and might commission a survey of Employees and students on their specific needs. Ellen Kether-Feinberg is the current chair of the committee, and other interested nominees should contact the Chair or University Committee Assignments Committee chair Lee Edmark.

John Meeker asked if TIAA-Cref might withdraw its funding of the StarHeels program if the awards are not all given this year. DeLon said that she did not know of any plans for TIAA-Cref to withdraw funding. Current plans are for TIAA-Cref to support the program for three years.

The Chair praised Chapel Hill Herald reporter Eric Ferreri for his four-part series on the campus master plan. He welcomed 2000 Forum Chair Joanne Kucharski to speak on the Employee Appreciation Fair to occur Wednesday May 23. Kucharski said that the Fair would take place in and around Carmichael Auditorium from 2-4 p.m. The Fair will feature carnivalesque activities, health screenings, massage tables, ice cream, and prize awards. Employees will be able to register for prize drawings by swiping their UNC OneCards at the door. Employees interesting in volunteering should contact Kucharski. Kucharski thanked the University Managers’ Association and Linda Carl for their work on the event. Kucharski was excited about the Fair and encouraged Employees to consult a future issue of the University Gazette for more information. Kucharski then distributed Easter eggs filled with chocolate to the assembled Delegates.

The Chair thanked Kucharski for her work and service, and encouraged Delegates to volunteer for the Fair. At this point, he invited the Forum to take a short stretch break.

The Chair took a moment to remind Delegates that speakers addressing the Forum are invited guests. He reminded Delegates, whether agreeing with the speakers or not, to act in a respectful manner.

The Chair called for a motion to approve the minutes of the March 7 meeting. Tom Jenswold made this motion seconded by Glenn Haugh. The motion was approved unanimously.

The Chair introduced for first reading a resolution to support the student initiative for fare-free transit. The Forum Executive Committee composed the resolution at its March meeting. The Chair read the resolution, and invited Delegates to begin discussion. Fred Jordan noted that the Board of Trustees had already adopted the Transportation and Parking Advisory committee plan. He asked if approval of the resolution would in fact make a difference. Robert Sadler thought that the resolution would send a signal of staff support for the plan, which might influence negotiations with the Towns. Scott Ragland said that he did not think that formal action had taken place concerning the fare-free option yet. The Chair said that to support the University in its negotiations with the Towns was the original intention of the Executive Committee.

The Forum agreed by acclamation to consider the resolution on second reading at its May meeting.

Committee Reports

Fred Jordan, chair of the Career Development committee, said that he had consulted with Elaine Tola to find an electronic copy of the staff training responsibilities brochure. He noted that Joanne Kucharski had attended the group’s last meeting to speak about the history of the brochure and the story behind obtaining tuition-free summer school classes for staff. Kucharski will join the committee as a full member. The committee will meet again April 26 at 1 p.m. in 042 Sitterson.

Suzan de Serres, chair of the Communications committee, asked Delegates to check the most recent issue of InTouch to insure that contact information was correct. Committee members are expected to complete rough drafts for the University Gazette insert by the following morning. The committee will turn in a rough draft to the Gazette offices by May 11, and will receive a proof by May 18. The insert will run in the June 13 Gazette. The insert will contain articles on Forum committees, staff success stories, a history of the Forum gavel and logo, an article from the Chair, and photos depicting Forum service. The committee will meet April 5 from 9-10:30 a.m. in the Ye Olde Waffle Shop on East Franklin Street. The next InTouch issue will contain a policy response dealing with the health care survey.

Sheila Storey, chair of the Employee Presentations committee, said the group has written to Chancellor Moeser encouraging him to convene a community meeting this spring with Provost Shelton and Vice Chancellor Suttenfield. The committee will meet again April 12 from 11-noon.

Tracey Haith, chair of the Nominating committee, said that group was seeking delegate assistance in identifying staff nominees for next year’s elections. She invited continuing Delegates to consider running for Forum officer positions.

Suzan de Serres, chair of the Orientation committee, said the group had discussed new delegate orientation, namely instituting a mentor system for new Delegates. Former Delegates are invited to volunteer for the mentoring system. The committee will meet April 11 from 11:30-1 p.m. in a location to be determined.

Clarence Peoples of the Personnel Issues committee said that the group had met with Associate Vice Chancellor for Human Resources Laurie Charest to discuss various issues. The committee will meet again with Human Resources officials.

Karen Jordan, chair of the Recognition and Awards committee, said that the group had begun work coordinating the staff processional to take place on University Day October 12. She encouraged departments to nominate representatives once the time arrives. Jordan invited Delegates to submit prospective designs for the Forum flag, which the committee hoped to make ready by the time of the processional. The committee will also continue work on the prize patrol in the fall. The committee also plans to mail Forum pins to all former Forum Delegates who have not claimed them. The committee plans to work with Anne Aldridge on increasing the number and quality of departmental recognition programs. Finally, the committee hopes to hold a brunch social for Forum Delegates and alternates in September or October.

De Serres asked what size and shape the Forum flag would be. Jordan said that the flag could not be a larger size than the University flag. She invited artists to submit designs and even to join the committee to develop plans.

Lee Edmark, chair of the University Committee Assignments Committee, said that the group had received two letters requesting staff representation on University committees. The committee has filled these vacancies quickly because of looming deadlines. John Meeker said that the committee also plans to revise the on-line form for University committee information and nomination. Linda Collins said that she knew of some Health Science Libraries students who might be interested in collaborating to develop the Forum webpage. The committee will meet again April 11 at 2 p.m. in a place to be determined, since the usual meeting location has been occupied.

Edmark said that the committee had received a request for staff representation on the Human Resources Facilitator of the Year award committee. The committee plans to begin meeting by the 2nd of the week, and hopes to name a representative as soon as possible. Diane Strong said that she had served on this committee last year.

Chair’s Report

The Chair said that the Executive Committee had met with representatives of SEANC District 25 to discuss privacy and political concerns associated with the recent health care survey. Lynn Williford and Kitti Ballenger from Institutional Research also attended to respond to these questions. The Chair noted that the only identifiers, the computers’ IP addresses, associated with the survey were erased as soon as Institutional Research received the data from the compiling software company.

Following this meeting, the Chair met with Laurie Charest, Faculty chair Sue Estroff and Williford to talk about the compiled results. The Chair said that he had also had entered discussions with various General Administration officials.

The Chair said that he would raise the health plan among many issues when meeting with Provost Shelton and Vice Chancellor Suttenfield. He invited Delegates to submit other issues of interest to raise in this meeting.

The Chair has been appointed the initial head of the University Housekeeping director search committee. The University has set a deadline of April 30 for candidates to submit applications.

The previous afternoon the Chair had served on the committee selecting recipients of the Carolina Center for Public Service awards for faculty and staff. Nine faculty and seven staff applied for these grants.

The sustainability coalition plans an Earth Day presentation for April 24 from 11-2:30 p.m. Finally, the Chair had attended the Inauguration of Student Body President Justin Young and his cabinet that week.

The Chair noted that Sue Estroff had met with Public Safety Chief Derek Poarch and his assistant Cheryl Stout to discuss changing the permit system for retired faculty. Under a new proposal, parking permits for retired University faculty would come from the departmental allocation for permits starting in 2002. Retired faculty would only be able to park from after 1:30 p.m. in the afternoon, instead of from noon onward. This change would help staff who leave their parking spaces to drive to lunch finding that their spaces have been taken. Poarch and Stout said that this proposal would be the first item of business this fall, and asked the Forum to provide input on the idea by the end of April.

It was noted that starting in the fall, officers would begin to issue citations to pedestrians interfering with the flow of traffic similar to vehicular citations. Public Safety will target problem areas in this regard. Public Safety plans a counseling program on pedestrian safety in C-Tops this summer.

Sheila Storey said that the pedestrian safety committee was working with Jack Evans and the Horace Williams tract to develop pedestrian and bicyclist friendly areas. The committee also responded to several complaints about specific problem areas for pedestrians, such as Finley Golf course road, Manning Drive near dorm construction, and Pittsboro Street near the Credit Union. Storey said that Public Safety had noticed a decline in the cars not yielding to pedestrians under the universal sign on Manning Drive.

Keith Fogleman said that he nor the 30 or so workers in his shop had not seen evidence of enforcing traffic laws with respect to pedestrians or particularly bicyclists. He was encouraged that enforcement of the laws for these folks would be coming.

Jeffery Fuchs said that he was bothered by the proposal to provide parking permits for retired faculty out of departmental allocations. He said that he had finally received a parking permit from his department due to the retirement of a faculty member. He urged the Forum to be careful before endorsing this proposal since departments will rely on seniority or other status markers when distributing permits. He was much more in favor of pushing back the time when retired faculty can park on campus from noon to 1:30 p.m.

The Chair said that Public Safety planned to put a cap on the number of permits allocated to faculty and staff. Currently, the University provides 370 permits, 95% of these to retired faculty and 5% to retired staff. The proposal would change the permit scheme to 90% faculty and 10% staff (retired). Estroff had raised this concern also and worried that the University could chase away valued staff Employees by targeting attractive permits to retired faculty. He said that there was no proposal to change the departmental scheme of permit allocation. The Chair said that he would forward all written comments on the subject to the Transportation and Parking Advisory committee.

Fred Jordan said that the Personnel Issues committee was planning to meet with Stout to discuss how parking policies are made and enforced. He encouraged members to raise the subject of retired faculty and staff parking. The Chair noted that the Transportation and Parking Advisory committee was due to reconvene in August.

Edmark said that he had been very interested in the workings of the March Executive Committee meeting. The Chair noted that these are open meetings and any member of the public is invited to attend.

The Chair noted that Dave Lohse had resigned from the Forum and asked that Division 1 members convene after the meeting to select a new Executive Committee representative.

In the absence of further discussion, Robert Sadler made a motion to adjourn, seconded by Glenn Haugh. The motion was approved by acclamation.

Respectfully submitted,

 

Matt Banks, Recording Secretary

Print Friendly