UNC-Chapel Hill Employee Forum

Hitchcock Multipurpose Room, Sonja H. Stone Center

NOTE:  This is a draft agenda and is subject to change without advance notice.

Meet and Greet with Incoming Delegates  (9:15 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.)

I. Call to Order, Opening Remarks, & Recitation of Forum Charge—Chair Charles Streeter (9:30 a.m. – 9:40 a.m.)

II. Special Presentations (9:40 a.m. – 9:55 a.m.)

  • Presentation from Sharbari Dey

III. Human Resources Update – Vice Chancellor for Workforce Strategy, Equity, and Engagement Felicia Washington (9:55 a.m. – 10:20 a.m.)

IV. Old Business (10:20 a.m. – 10:35 a.m.)

  • Student Stores Discussion

V. New Business (10:35 a.m. – 10:50 a.m.)

  • Approval of April Minutes (SharePoint Link, Delegate-Only Access)
  • Forum Officer Elections; Remarks from Forum Officer Candidates
    • Chair
    • Vice Chair
    • Secretary:  Kathy James
    • Treasurer:  Cynthia Brown, Shayna Hill

VI.  Forum Committees (10:50 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.)

  • Carolina Blood Drive: Jim Fuller
  • Carolina Community Garden Advisory: Arlene Medder
  • Communications and Public Relations: Katie Turner/Kelli Raker
  • Education and Career Development: Clare Counihan
    • Recognition & Awards:  Natiaya Neal
  • Membership & Assignments:  Kathy James
  • Personnel Issues:  Chrissie Greenberg
    • Compensation & Benefits:  John Williams
    • Legislative Action:  Christopher Powe
    • Staff Relations, Policies & Practices:
  • UNC System Staff Assembly: Kim Andrews/Shane Hale/Charles Streeter/Victoria Hammett
  • Executive Committee: Charles Streeter (February, March minutes)

VIII. Announcements/Questions (11:15 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.)

IX.  Adjournment

MINUTES

May 4, 2016 Forum Minutes

Attending (those who signed in):  Kim Andrews, Bryan Andregg, Sharon Brinson, Bonita Brown, Cynth ia Brown, Katherine Cartmell, Tiffany Carver, Jackie Copeland, Clare Counihan, Mary Dahlsten, Sharbari Dey, Lois Douglass-Alston, Phillip Edwards, Christian Farrell, Shantell Ferrell, David Fraley, Jim Fuller, Lori Haight, Shane Hale, Shannon Harvey, Shayna Hill, Kathy James, Karen Jenkins, Mary King, ronda Manuel, Angelica Matos, Jeanna Mccullers, Matt McKirahan, Arlene Medder, Katie Musgrove, Deborah Norton, Jackie Overton, Michael Penny, Paula Poe, Krista Prince, Kelli Raker, Ricky Roach, David Rogers, Greg Smith, Kewana Smith, Charles Streeter, LaToya Taylor, Ben Triplett, Katie Turner

Excused Absences:  Ronald Campbell, Gabrielle Jones, Susan Lucas, Christopher Powe

Chair Charles Streeter called the meeting to order at 9:15 a.m.  He welcomed the great number of new delegates, and led the new delegates in a recitation of the Forum charge.  He then led room in a round of introductions.  The Forum then assembled outside for the Forum portrait.

The Chair welcomed Assistant Director for Education and Special Initiatives Sharbari Dey to speak on upcoming programs in Diversity and Multicultural Affairs (DMA).  She noted that DMA will hold its annual Thinkposium on August 17 at the Friday Center.  This event will focus on microaggressions and their nature and impact on the higher education enterprise.  The event will feature Dr. Damon Williams, the current Senior Vice President for Programs, Training, and Youth Development for the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, as keynote speaker.  The Chair recalled that he had pressed for a discussion on this topic this year in a Vice Chancellor representatives’ meeting with Dr. Taffye Clayton.  He said that Dr. Derald Sing Sue had written on this subject, which involves a subtle but offensive comment or action directed at a minority or other non-dominant group that is often unintentional or unconsciously reinforces a stereotype. He hoped that the Forum could possibly sponsor a talk by Dr. Sue in the future.

Katie Turner thanked DMA for choosing this topic.  She suggested that the University incorporate these ideas into supervisor training and evaluation forms.  She said that supervisors need to be mindful of categories of specific bias as well.  Sharbari Dey said that the microaggression approach involves race, gender, religion, and political sentiment, among other areas.  Clare Counihan said that last year’s Thinkposium had been fantastic.  The Chair agreed, noting the topic was implicit bias.  He said that the Executive Committee would discuss incorporating this topic into the Forum Book Club’s lineup.

Associate Vice Chancellor for Human Resources Linc Butler provided the Forum’s customary Human Resources update.  Butler welcomed University Title IX Coordinator Jenn Scott to speak on training for campus security authorities and other mandatory employees related to the Clery Act and Title IX.  Those considered campus security authorities can complete a computer-based module or hear a training in person.  This training will help these employees understand their roles.  She said that there are two federal laws that govern these employees.  An employee asked that the Equal Opportunity Office communicate the availability of personal trainings to Human Resources representatives and deans.

Clare Counihan said that some employees do not know if they are mandatory employees with respect to these laws.  Jenn Scott said that she keeps the list which is distributed to Human Resources representatives.  Arlene Medder noted that the computer-based training module (CBT) for these areas ranges around a half-hour, including the quiz at the end.

An employee noted that the Clery Act requires the University to track the frequency and location of crimes on campus.  The Clery Act is a statistics-based law.  Title IX is a response-based law that requires the University to remedy harassment and keep these events from occurring.  The laws have different goals and different legal processes.  The Chair noted that the University conducts HAVEN (Helping Advocates for Violence Ending Now) training on sexual harassment and that the Forum had participated in training around a year ago.

Linc Butler was excited to introduce Mark Haapala, Director of Organization and Professional Development for the University.  Haapala previously worked for the Disney Corporation and is a native North Carolinian.  Butler took a moment to thank former director Will Frey for his amazing leadership.  He reminded listeners that the Diversity Campus Climate survey is open until May 7th.  Respondents have the opportunity to win an iPad mini-tablet.

Shauna Stackhouse, Brandi Flickinger, and Erin Parrish spoke on the different community service leave (CSL) options open to University staff.  Flickinger noted that staff can be paid for volunteering in different areas of campus.  This practice allows the University to partner in valuable volunteer enterprises.  The policy also allows University staff to impact their communities, and helps the University recruit ambitious people.  There are also many health benefits relating to volunteering in the community.

SHRA permanent employees, EHRA permanent non-faculty, and EHRA faculty who earn leave are all eligible to use CSL.  Employees must regularly work at least 20 hours a week to retain eligibility.  Flickinger noted that there are Tutoring and Mentoring CSL and Literacy CSL options.  Employees cannot receive compensation for their services and the work must be outside the employee’s normal scope of duties.

CSL credits are granted on January 1st of each year and are prorated according to full-time equivalency (FTE) and hire date.  Leave not taken by the end of the calendar year is forfeited.  There is no payout for unused leave upon separation.

Using CSL requires supervisory permission and the needs of the office must be considered.  Employees must provide documentation if required on a consistent basis in their unit.  Employees can track CSL availability in TIM.  Flickinger described the CSL options including amount of paid leave available by option and the parental involvement required.  The Tutoring & Mentoring CSL has very different requirements for working with students in a public or private school.  It was noted that child involvement leave is limited to exclude college attendance.  Service eligibility depends on the type of service, as the use of CSL to vote is not allowed, for example.  CSL cannot be used for service outside the State of North Carolina.  Employees with questions can access hr.unc.edu/benefits for more information.

Kim Andrews confirmed that donations at the Carolina Blood Drives are considered work-time with supervisor approval.  Clare Counihan asked if CSL could be used for parents or employees with adult dependents.  Flickinger said that CSL must be school-related.  She said that primary caregivers, be they parents or grandparents, can use CSL or Family Medical Leave under certain circumstances.  She said that CSL cannot be used for grandparent adult day care.

Chrissie Greenberg confirmed that CSL cannot be used to promote religious belief.  Ricky Roach asked about a child playing baseball at school.  Flickinger said that events must be academic or artistic events, such as chaperoning a field trip, to fall under CSL use.

Katie Cartmell said that disaster relief falls under a different policy which allows use outside the State.  Katie Musgrove proposed that the Forum establish a community service leave committee.  Felicia Washington praised Flickinger’s excellent report.  She said that Forum delegates will need to become more aware of personnel policies as the Forum is an advisory body to the Chancellor’s Office.  Washington serves as the official liaison between her office and the Forum.  She said that the Forum had done an outstanding job navigating issues.  She shared a PowerPoint describing the year at UNC as it involved the hiring of the new vice chancellor for Human Resources, the first full year of ConnectCarolina, and the distribution of the inclusion and diversity campus climate survey.  She noted the change to the 12-month probationary policy rule and the new SHRA performance management cycle.  In addition, she noted new automated background check processes and automated W-2, W-4, and NC-4 forms have taken effect.  Human Resources has been vital in the University implementation of the Affordable Care Act and in streamlining recruitment policies and practices.  Human Resources has navigated and communicated the new adverse weather policy from the State.

Training and Education has introduced the new Blueprint for Engaged Supervision Training (BEST) and held the annual work/life and wellness fair.  She noted the recognition of Employees through the successful Employee Appreciation Day.  The University celebrated veterans and individuals with disabilities, and raised more than $800,000 in charitable contributions through Carolina Cares, Carolina Shares.  Finally, the University recognized more than 300 long-service employees at official banquets and receptions.

Clare Counihan asked if Human Resources could assist in promoting elder care CSL leave.  Washington agreed that most everyone must care for their aging parents.  She said her office would see what it could do in discussions with decision-makers.

The Chair opened discussion on the Student Stores issue.  He noted that employees with Student Stores will have the option to stay with Barnes & Noble for the same salary for three years.  Employees within a five-year milestone will be allowed to continue their service at guaranteed job and salary.  He had a cautiously good feeling about the current agreement and wanted to wait to see what would occur.

The Chair noted that the Executive Committee had voted to hold a community meeting with Vice Chancellor Brad Ives and Barnes & Noble management.  He asked if the Forum had feedback on this question.  Arlene Medder reported that a friend at William & Mary had been pleasantly surprised by Barnes & Noble’s stewardship in the same situation there.  Jackie Overton thanked the Chair and Katie Turner for their representation of staff in these negotiations.  She commended them on a job well done.  The Chair said that delegates are responsible for meeting with their constituents, and he praised Turner, Bonita Brown, and Arlene Medder for doing this in this situation.  He said that the Forum would soon look to turn over management of individual divisional listservs to delegates to improve this communication.

An employee said that she had worked at undergraduate and graduate bookstores for Barnes & Noble and had found it a phenomenal experience.  Turner said that the Forum needs to be careful in its communications about the agreement as people in Student Stores have had a rough time through the course of discussions.  The Chair thanked the employee for stating that she had a positive experience.

The Chair called for a motion to approve the April minutes.  Clare Counihan made this motion, subject to her edits.  Kathy James seconded this motion.  The motion was approved with one abstention.

The Chair encouraged incoming and continuing delegates to run for Forum office in June.  All positions are open except parliamentarian.  The Chair said that Forum committees should have developed end of year reports for the June meeting.

Jim Fuller said that the Carolina Blood Drive committee had met April 26th.  Ramses the UNC mascot will attend.  Donors at the June 7th drive are strongly advised to use RapidPass.  The drive has an 830 pint goal.  He noted that two years ago, the drive reached nearly 1,000 pints.  Arlene Medder asked if volunteers are still needed for the drive.

Arlene Medder said that the Carolina Campus Community Garden committee had met in May.  The committee hopes to convince employees to use Community Service Leave for service in the Garden, usually from 4-6 p.m. on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  The Chair hoped to have as many delegates as possible at a “Day of Service” at the Garden in the future.

Katie Turner said that the Communications and Public Relations committee had pushed out a statement on Student Stores clarifying the Forum’s role in the University process.  She said that no vote had been taken to unanimously endorse a vendor.  Instead, it was presented that a decision was made and committee members had the chance to select from two options.  She said that there was no way that the committee had voted to authorize privatization or voted to outsource.  Turner said that InTouch emphasized and publicized the Forum stance.  InTouch also publicized Earth Day for employee service in the Garden as well as the J.B. Royster Scholarship.

Turner hoped to hear from the Chancellor soon regarding the proposed Clark Staff Award for Moral Courage.  She welcomed new delegates and a new co-chair of the committee, Kelli Raker.

Clare Counihan reported that the Education and Career Development committee had finished its work following the mini-conference on higher education employment opportunities.  Ronda Manuel said that the Carolina Family Scholarship applications will be accepted through June 1st.  She said that the scholarship is available to all UNC-Chapel Hill employees.  She said that need is a factor in these scholarships.  Additionally, community college attendees are eligible for the scholarship.  She asked listeners to spread the word about the scholarship.

Natiaya Neal will take over the Recognition & Awards committee as Chair.  She thanked Kathy Ramsey, Kathy James, and Arlene Medder for agreeing to serve on the committee.  The committee will make presentations to peer recognition award winners in June.

Kathy James said that the Membership & Assignments committee was looking into venues for June & July meeting.  She said that the Forum had experienced a good turnout in voting for the last election.

Chrissie Greenberg said that the Personnel Issues committee faced attrition problems in its work since the New Year.  The committee had focused on the 9.9% salary increase limitation which the Legislature had subsequently undone this year.  The committee also spent time supporting the cause of the Student Stores employees.  The committee also discussed the campus climate survey as well as discussing degree options for staff.

Kathy Ramsey asked if the committee had worked with the Town Council with regard to discussion surrounding the Old Chapel Hill Cemetery.  The Chair said that the Council had voted to work with the entire Forum at a meeting the previous evening.

The Chair said that the Chancellor’s Cup golf tournament would take place May 25th in Sanford.  He invited delegates to join Kathy James, Karen Jenkins, Kathy Ramsey, Arlene Medder, and Jim Fuller in using Community Service Leave to assist with the tournament.  He hoped that one of UNC-Chapel Hill’s two teams could win the Cup this year.  Jo-Ann Blake confirmed that volunteers will help with player check-in, delivering meals to the course, and setting up tents at holes.  The Chair said that these activities are not strenuous.  He said that volunteers should plan to show up at 7 a.m. in Sanford.

The Chair was proud to announce the appointment of Kathy Ramsey to the Faculty Welfare Committee.  He noted that the faculty were interested in duplicating the 20- and 25-year societies that UNC-Chapel Hill staff have.  He asked what employees would think of this change.  Ramsey said that the faculty had wanted to do more due diligence on an effort towards putting together a resolution for the fall.

The Chair invited delegates to discuss their vision for the next two years as Forum members.

Respectfully submitted,

Matt Banks, Recording Secretary

 

 

 

Print Friendly