Concerning Adverse Weather
RESOLUTION OF THE EMPLOYEE FORUM
THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT CHAPEL HILL
March 5, 2003
WHEREAS, the Mission of the Employee Forum is to address constructively the concerns of the Employees of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; and
WHEREAS, those concerns include the administration of the University’s adverse weather policy; and
WHEREAS, the current adverse weather policy is seen not to address adequately situations of severe and potentially catastrophic weather conditions
THEREFORE, the Employee Forum once again recommends adoption of the following policy (as originally formulated by the University Human Resources Advisory Board), and urges the Chancellor and his designees to advocate adoption of this policy in discussions with appropriate State officials:
- In the event of severe (potentially catastrophic) weather conditions, the Chancellor of each UNC constituent institution has the authority to close the University or designated University operations in order to protect the safety of faculty, staff and students.
- Time Lost When Chancellor Closes University Operations
- Time lost by Employees due to the Chancellor’s closing of the University does not have to be made up or otherwise accounted for by the use of paid leave.
- Critical Employees who must report for work as scheduled when the Chancellor has closed the University may get hour for hour paid time off for time worked during regular hours when the University is closed by the Chancellor. This time must be used within 12 months of its being awarded. It should be used after compensatory time off, but must be used before vacation or sick leave. Departments shall make every effort to give Employees the opportunity to take this time off within 12 months.
- Departments must notify Employees during the interview process and in writing should the status of their position change that their position is considered critical, and what that designation means.
- If additional Employees are needed to complete cleanup and recovery during the time the University remains closed, the Chancellor may elect to compensate these Employees in the same manner as critical Employees.
FURTHERMORE, the Employee Forum recommends that when the Governor or one of his designees asks through the media that motorists stay off the local roads due to adverse weather, Employees should not have to make up time lost in a manner similar to that when the Chancellor declares the University closed.
Signed on behalf of the Employee Forum