- Provide feedback on critical campus issues and policies, like parking and adverse weather. Whether through online or in-person discussion, Forum delegates provide feedback to guest speakers at Forum meeting or through the Executive Committee. Delegates work on Forum committees related to their interests, and they may also serve on committees across the University. In Fall 2016, the Forum provided feedback on the Five Year Plan for Transportation & Parking and to the Workforce for the Future committee.
- Access to the Vice Chancellor for Workforce Strategy, Equity, & Engagement, who serves as an ex-officio, non-voting member of the Employee Forum. Employee Forum delegates have an opportunity to meet once every other month with senior administration to discuss current issues impacting employees.
- Advocate for staff across the University and the UNC system. In providing an effective two-way communication link between the administration and the employees, the Forum creates space to share employee input about issues facing the University. For example, the Forum raised employee concerns around privatization, and it took a stand against privatization. It successfully worked with UNC administration to maximize benefits for staff during the transition of Student Stores to Barnes & Noble College.
Additionally, three Forum delegates represent UNC-Chapel Hill staff on the UNC Staff Assembly, which addresses issues concerning the entire UNC System.
- Be the first to receive updates and information from senior UNC administration – and share them with others. Guest speakers at the Forum monthly meeting provide important updates about the University and employee benefits and discounts. Whether it’s regular updates from Human Resources about changes related to new FLSA rules (Fall 2016) or Chancellor Folt’s overview of the Blueprint for Next (December 2016), Forum delegates learn about changes impacting employees first!
- Have fun! Delegates connect to others across campus, forming friendships in addition to professional relationships. There are so many opportunities: monthly book club, annual Twitter Scavenger Hunt and Employee Appreciation Day, community service activities, potlucks, and more.