arleneArlene Medder, Division 6 delegate

I have been donating blood since I was 18 years old, but I am not always able to donate blood during the annual Carolina Blood Drive. For anyone who is unable to donate, but who still wants to contribute to the blood drive, volunteering is an excellent option. There are many tasks handled by volunteers, including directing donors to donation stations, escorting donors to the canteen, serving in the canteen and driving donors in the golf cart.

In my assorted volunteer stints, I have stood on the floor of the Dean Dome, looking to see which donation pod has a chair available and directing donors. I have looked for donors who have completed their donation and need an escort to the canteen. I have served in the canteen, greeting donors and bringing them refreshments. I once stood at the table by the exit and handed out free t-shirts.

The volunteer shift lasts about two and a half hours. When you sign up to volunteer, state your preference for the kind of work you want to do. I list “flexible” so the event organizers  can assign me to where I’m most needed. At the end of the day, there’s usually a need for clean-up crew, in addition to the other volunteer tasks.

If you are able, I urge you to donate blood. However, if that’s not possible, consider volunteering your time. With your supervisor’s permission, volunteering at the Dean Dome is considered work time.

I’ll be volunteering and then donating blood this year. I hope to see you there.