Skip to main content

• This committee was founded in 2020

Committee Leadership:

• Antonio D. Squire – Chair was replaced by Co-Chairs Joseph Nsonwu-Farley and Janet Steele.
o Janet Steele – has a seat on the DEI Council and participated in DEI Awards Selection.
o Joseph Nsonwu will be leaving in July.
o There will be a Call for a Co-Chair to work with Janet.

• Jessye Bongiovanni left UNC in May, and there is a Call for Secretary Nominations.
o We have a volunteer (Alice Whiteside) and will take a vote at the next EFDEI meeting on Monday, May 23rd.

• Partnership with Diversity and Inclusion Subgroup- Robert Smith
• Alternative Holiday Subgroup Update- Adrianne Gibilisco
• Preferred Names Resolution Subgroup- Sarah Gladstone-Smith
• Sustainability Subgroup- Matthew Teal
• Employee Forum and Staff Assembly Update- Keith Hines
• Carolina Black Caucus- Jaci Fields
• Communications Subgroup – vacant
• Employee Resources Subgroup – vacant

Dates of Meetings: We meet on the fourth Monday of each month via Zoom, from 3:00 to 4:00 pm.

NameTitleActive MemberRole in Committee
Anderson, LaurenProject ManagerCurrently Active since 2020Member
Banks, MatthewUniversity Program AssociateCurrently Active since 2021Member and Coordinator for the EF
Bongiovanni, JessyeExecutive AssistantRetired 2022Secretary 2020-22
Bragg, DavidTechnology Support AnalystCurrently Active since 2021Member
Carrier, SarahNC Research and Instruction Librarian Wilson LibraryRetired 2021Member
Cartagena, ValerieAdmin Support SpecialistCurrently Active since 2020Member
Carver, TiffanyAdministrative AssistantCurrently Active since 2020Member
DeNeal, JenniferAdministrative DirectorCurrently Active since 2020Member
Dubose, ElizabethSoc/Clin Research SpecialistCurrently Active since 2021Member
Field, JaciDirector - Eddie Smith FieldhouseCurrently Active since 2021Member
Forman, StephanieExecutive AssistantCurrently Active since 2020Member
Gibilisco, AdriannePublic Comm SpecialistCurrently Active since 2020Member
Hefner, LeahOrdering and Receiving SpecialistCurrently Active since 2021Member
Held, BradleyHead of Digital AccessibilityCurrently Active since 2021Member
Hill, JessicaClinic Administrative ManagerCurrently Active since 2020Member
Hines, KeithMarketing Project ManagerCurrently Active since 2020Member
King, MaryOps Coord of UNC Cancer NetworkCurrently Active since 2021Member
Marchese, Haydée Business Services CoordinatorRetired 2021Member
Medder, ArleneAdmin. Support AssociateCurrently Active since 2021Member
Musgrove, KatieBusiness OfficerCurrently Active since 2021Member and Chair of EF
Neal, NatiayaStudent Services Events ManagerRetired 2022Member
Nsonwu-Farley, JosephResearch TechnicianRetired 2022Chair 2022
Robinson, KevinMulti-Media ProducerRetired 2021Member
Scurlock-Cross, KellyAdmin Support SpecialistCurrently Active since 2020Member
Silsby, TheresaDir, Business Systems Help DeskCurrently Active since 2020Member
Singletary, JaniceBusiness Services Manager, CHS HubCurrently Active since 2021Member
Smith, Robert IIIAssociate Chair for AdministrationCurrently Active since 2020Member
Smith, SarahGlobal Civic Engagement CoordinatorCurrently Active since 2020Member
Squire, AntonioGraduate Funding CoordinatorRetired 2022Founding chair 2020-2022
Steele, JanetAssistant Operations DirectorCurrently Active since 2021Chair 2020-present
Tuset, Juan Enrique FIT Program CoordinatorCurrently Active since 2022Member
Wackerhagen, SarahResearch AssociateCurrently Active since 2020Member
Whiteside, AliceHead, Sloane Art LibraryCurrently Active since 2021Member
Williams, MichaelNetwork Firewall LeadCurrently Active since 2020Member

Areas of Achievement:
-Alternative holiday proposal Linc Butler meetings to bring HR up to speed
-Collaborate with Personnel Issues to bring up the concerns of housekeeping staff in their Proposal
-Keith Hines/Janet Steele/Robert/Katie represented the interests of Staff at the Campus Police Chief Interviews
-Creating chains of communication with other campus agencies (Robert Smith works with Leah Cox)
-Put out a statement for Confederate protesters at Unsung Founders Memorial (collaborate with Katie)
-Terri Phoenix – speaker
Areas for Attention:
-Preferred Names Resolution
-Subcommittee arrangement is not necessarily accurate. Redesignate as Initiative Directors (2 per Initiative). People can reach out to them and reach out to individuals with the skills they require for initiative completion. They were empowered to make calls more regularly to the committee and the forum at large.
-Brad Held as Resources Initiative- meetings to steer website overhaul (tool to check website viability) visual/hearing impairment and language accessibility
-Communications->Engagement Initiative (we already have a comm committee). More representation from underrepresented populations and departments (fill technical division slots and reach out to occupational demographics). Our secretaries can manage the communication of committee business. Or should we get rid of this initiative? Or engagement initiative? Or secretary duty? (Janet to send out as a poll)
-CPSC Delegation- Beneficial to be from the committee? (Maybe Sarah Smith and Elizabeth DuBose?)
-Co-chairing has been beneficial, and having co-subcommittee chairs or Co-secretaries may be helpful to ensure. Alice Whiteside has volunteered. (Do we want a co-sec?) Teresa Silsby is interested in helping (perhaps as chair of subcommittee or co-secretary) – Maybe later this year. Check in with Robert Smith III if he needs someone as his backup; Juan Tuset has volunteered.

-[Proposal of coffee with constituents quarterly or twice a month: Random selection of 10 forum members (that have not yet attended) required attendance to discuss with employees. 2 blocks of time 11:30-1:30. Officers are excluded from mandatory attendance. Maybe a link sent out for people uncomfortable with in-person meetings?] Rough outline but the goal of more engagement with other staff members. Solve the issue of the same people doing all work.
-Creation of Sustainability Subgroup (Matt and Alice) may become an independent committee (the intention was to make sure that we are representing values of diversity when advocating for sustainability) [e.g., black and minority populations suffering from the pollution of UNC coal plant, but employee interest is in keeping] – should this be a separate committee or Keep it as a subcommittee?
-Resources subcommittee would be duplicating work, so we initiated an overhaul of the website to embed resources from other campus entities.
-Arlene Medder would like to do an initiative.
-Reminder to volunteer and donate to the Blood Drive.