• Evelyn Contre
    • Chief Communication Officer for NC Medical Board
    • Public Presentation Program started last year – effort to reach out
    • Alum of NC State undergrad, Kenan Flagler, learned how to hate Duke
    • To educate people about the role of the medical board, what they do, and how to better serve the public
    • Started in 1859, few years ago they started reached out to the people they are required to protect
    • Want to be part of the solution instead of just the regulator
    • Boring notes:
      • 13 board members (10 are clinicians – doctors, PA, MP… 3 public)
      • 55 staff members
      • They do licensing, regulation (through complaints), policy development
    • Why should we care about what they do?
      • Directory of information on your doctor or PA located on their website (NCMedboard.org)
      • You can file a complaint on their website
      • You can find a doctor by location on their website
    • Proactive about opioid crisis
      • Continuing medical education training (geared towards rural areas without a major hospital)
      • With the hope of having an improvement in prescribing
    • Proactive addiction medicine
      • Make it more common across doctors
      • Remove stigma
    • Social media campaign
      • First one last year
      • “Knowing the risks of opioids”
      • Coming up – save storage and safe disposal of medication
    • Always looking for ideas on how to better reach and serve the public.
    • Example: Dr. Larry Nasser (gymnastics). If someone had reported his actions to the medical board, there is a chance it could have been stopped sooner.
    • Are there any groups that we know about that they need to talk to?
      • Opioid addicted pregnant women and months
      • Full forum meeting
        • ACTION ITEM:::: Matt will reach out to her about options for her to speak at a full board meeting.
      • Polo shirts:
        • Reached out about women’s vs men’s sizes
        • We can order from whoever we want to and then send to the embroider
        • Does anyone have any favorite polo companies?
          • Karlina will as her PR person for a recommendation
        • Will bring in sample sizes for people to try before placing the order
      • 18-04 – Silent Sam
        • Passed at full board meeting
        • Has been delivered to the chancellor and posted to our website
        • Shayna was getting blowback (subtle and note so subtle) before we passed the resolution.
        • Probably not widely known that we passed the resolution.
        • Rumor is the statue will go back up over winter break. If that happens, should/could we put out another resolution?
          • Have a message in response to the recommendation made by the Chancellor. A message either way ready to go. Who is willing to be on the committee?
            • Kathy, Shayna, Karlina, Jeff
          • Salary Compression
            • James has told Greg Myer that the forum will be delivering a memo to the chancellor about salary compression
            • Shayna understand the situation and knows that HR is aware of it, so she has asked James to give us time. Collectively tabling this.
            • Side note – there are new bands (woo hoo), but individuals are not being moved across bands as a collective group (((I don’t know what this means, ask Karlina)))
            • References to the Pharmacy School’s way of hiring
          • Adverse weather is 18-05
            • Meeting right after this.
            • Draft was passed around.
            • Met with several people (Linc, staff, etc.)
          • ECDC Professional Development Grants (Laura)
            • Jeff suggested the Executive Committee vote on the change and then bring it up as an FYI in the December 5th meeting
          • December Social
            • There will be food!
            • Betty Morgan and Laura Pratt will speak. No word on the Chancellor’s presence
          • Move meetings?
            • Gillings is beautiful, but
            • Toy is free
              • Holds 85 people
              • No tables, chairs only
              • ACTION ITEM – Everyone should take a look at the space over the next month and see what they think
            • Issues to Legislative Leaders
              • No one knows what this means. Tabled until the next meeting.
            • Garden (Arelene)
              • Annual fundraising is about to begin
            • Blood Drive (__)
              • December 11
              • 10 appointments away from meeting our goal
              • New website URL – carolinablooddrive.unc.edu
              • Volunteers needed (sign up on the website)
                • Counts as work time
              • Communications(Greg)
                • Met last week
                • Kathy suggested to Lori that a panel be “Do you know where to go…” This can be done in January
                  • Ombuds
                  • UNC Police
                  • EEOC
                  • ACTION ITEM – Matt, please reach out to partners to see if they would participate
                • Looking at how we represent our staff when it comes time to voting
                  • Need to reach out to HR
                  • Would need to update the bylaws
                • Matt – ask Rob Stevenson to speak at the December meeting about how to use our benefits to save money in the holiday season

 

  • Remove the phrase “ESL”. The correct phrase is “English as an additional language”.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email