Employee Forum Agenda
9:15 a.m.–Meeting: Pleasants Family Assembly Room, Wilson Library
I. Call to Order & Opening Remarks—Chair Charles Streeter
II. Welcome Guests & Members of the Press
III. Special Presentations
- James W. Dean, Jr., Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost of the University
James W. Dean Jr. is executive vice chancellor and provost of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the former dean at UNC Kenan-Flagler, where he is a professor of organizational behavior.
Leadership, organizational change, strategic decision making, international management, and organizational performance improvement are the focus of his research, teaching and consulting. Dr. Dean served as dean of UNC Kenan-Flagler from 2008-2013; senior associate dean from 2007-2008; associate dean of Executive Development from 2002-2007; and associate dean of the MBA Program from 1998-2002.
As associate dean for Executive Development, he increased the number and global reach of UNC’s non-degree programs, which are ranked among the world’s best. During his tenure, revenues for the programs increased by nearly 60 percent. UNC Kenan-Flagler is especially well known for its custom-designed programs for such organizations as ExxonMobil, the United States Navy, Duke Energy, Cisco and Nucor.
As associate dean of the MBA Program, Dr. Dean led an innovative re-design of the curriculum, created corporate advisory boards and developed a strong team of professionals to guide admissions, student services and career services. As a result, the quality of the MBA class, the curriculum and the quality and number of companies recruiting rose significantly.
He has participated in research, teaching and/or consulting projects with many companies, including ALCOA, Boeing, Corning, DuPont, ExxonMobil, GE, Honeywell and the U.S. Navy.
Dr. Dean has published his research in many of the top academic and business journals, including the Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Harvard Business Review, Organization Science and Strategic Management Journal.
He served as program director of the National Science Foundation research program, Transformations to Quality Organizations, which was jointly sponsored by the government and the private sector. He served as an examiner for the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award for six years.
- Barbara Silver, Tobacco Treatment Specialist
Barbara Silver, MA, CTTS, is the tobacco treatment specialist for the UNC Nicotine Dependence Program. She received her Master’s Degree in Developmental Psychology from the Teachers College of Columbia University. She has been a certified cessation counselor since 2000. She can be reached at 919-445-5358.
IV. Human Resources Update—Associate Vice Chancellor Matt Brody
V. Approval of December Minutes
VI. Old Business
VII. New Business
VIII. Forum Committee Reports
- Bylaws Committee: Rotating Chair
- Carolina Community Garden Advisory: Arlene Medder
- Communications and Public Relations: Katie Turner
- Education and Career Development: Lois Douglass-Alston/Matt McKirahan
- Membership & Assignments: Paula Goodman
- Recognition & Awards: Michael Highland
- Personnel Issues: James Holman (November minutes)
- Compensation & Benefits: Shelby Long
- Legislative Action: David Fraley
- Staff Relations, Policies & Practices: Yvonne Dunlap
- UNC System Staff Assembly: Michael Highland/James Holman/Charles Streeter/Clifton Webb
- Executive Committee: Charles Streeter