Carolina Family Scholarship
- 1 Mission
- 2 Donate
- 3 FAQs
- 3.0.1 I don't have any children who need this scholarship, and my own income isn't increasing lately, so why should I contribute?
- 3.0.2 Don't faculty/staff already get a discount if their children attend UNC?
- 3.0.3 Can my child(ren) be awarded a scholarship to attend schools other than UNC-Chapel Hill?
- 3.0.4 How are scholarships be awarded?
- 3.0.5 Who can give through payroll deduction?
- 3.0.6 Can I make a one-time contribution?
- 3.0.7 Do I have to contribute to qualify for a scholarship for my child(ren)?
- 3.0.8 Can my child(ren) qualify for a scholarship if I no longer work for the University?
- 3.0.9 If I contribute, will my child(ren) be guaranteed a scholarship?
- 3.0.10 Is the fund tax deductible?
- 4 Apply
The Carolina Family Scholarship fund was established in 2004 to provide need-based scholarships to the children of employees attending any of the 16 UNC campuses or community colleges in North Carolina. Some employees on our campus are hard-pressed to meet the challenge of helping their children enroll in our community colleges or state universities.This fund creates a sense of community among UNC-Chapel Hill faculty and staff by working toward a common goal–furthering the education of employee children.
We are in need of funds in order to sustain and grow this program. We ask that you consider giving what you can to this worthwhile initiative. Faculty and staff can give to the program by completing the employee gift form. You can also give via payroll deduction, check, credit card, stock or bank draft. Be sure to select the Carolina Family Scholarship Fund. You can also make your gift instantly online at this secure link.
Applications will be available April 15 are due annually on June 1.
Who is eligible?
- Children of UNC-Chapel Hill employees who work at least 30 hours per week. Children are defined as being dependent for income tax purposes and must be domiciled with the UNC employee.
Applicants to any accredited North Carolina post-secondary public institutions. Preference is given to incoming first-year students.
- Scholarship is contingent upon acceptance and subsequent full time enrollment at one of these institutions.
- Individuals who evidence financial need. Applicants must file the necessary financial aid forms with the institution they wish to attend and notify the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid at UNC-Chapel Hill with the contact information for that institution’s financial aid office, as well as provide a detailed summary of the financial aid package offered by that institution.
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee consisting of UNC-Chapel Hill faculty and staff. The number and amount of awards will vary according to fund availability, and recipients must verify their enrollment and financial aid eligibility at the institution they will be attending and provide this as part of the application. Recipients are eligible to receive the UNC Family Scholarship for eight semesters (not during summers) of full-time enrollment at the NC public institution of their selection, provided that they remain academically eligible. The award is contingent on the parent-UNC employee remaining employed full time (at least 30 hours) at UNC-Chapel Hill.
To renew, visit https://employeeforum.unc.edu/cfsrenewal
Contact for more information:
Ronda J. Manuel
Senior Associate Director of Development
The Arts and Sciences Foundation
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
134 East Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Office: (919) 962-7266
Cell: (919) 452-7597
Fax: (919) 962-2531