Professional Development Grants
The Employee Forum’s Professional Development Grant provides permanent University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill employees additional funding to help cover professional development opportunities.
The grant covers work-related education and training and can be used for conferences, certificates, non-credit classes, or similar instructional opportunities. In other words, it covers anything related to or contributing to the professional skills of the individual employee and not already covered by other resources at the University. Specifically, the grant is designed for expenses incurred prior to the opportunity (e.g., registration, materials, travel) that an employee’s department or other sources cannot cover. Courses for academic credit are not eligible for this grant but can be accessed through the University’s tuition waiver benefit. However, books and application expenses related to academic courses are now eligible for grant support.
Full or part-time permanent SHRA or EHRA non-faculty employees are eligible for this grant. We encourage applicants to seek funding from departmental and/or unit sources, if available, prior to submitting this application. Additionally, there are a number of other university sources of support, such as Educational Programs though Benefits, HR’s Training offerings, and the Janet B. Royster Memorial Staff Scholarship Fund. Please exhaust these other options before applying for the Professional Development Grant.
- Funding must be for individual benefit, relate to the employee’s position, and meet a professional development purpose (not departmental).
- Applicants must indicate all other sources of funding they are pursuing and/or have already received (e.g., departmental funds, Employee Assistance Program, Janet B. Royster Scholarship, three tuition waivers/year, etc.).
- Applicant may not have received a Professional Development Grant from the Employee Forum nor the Janet B. Royster staff scholarship from the Staff Assembly, for the same or a different opportunity, in the year prior to application.
- Applicant must include their supervisor’s name and email address. We do not need your supervisor’s approval, and we will not contact your supervisor unless the Professional Development Grant account is audited.
- Individual grants will not exceed $500.
- Timely and complete submission:
The application includes details about the opportunity, a budget of expenses, and answers to the four (4) following questions. (We recommend that you draft and save your answers in a Word document and then cut and paste the answers into the application when you are ready to submit it.)
- Describe how this professional development opportunity is relevant to your career aspirations.
- Describe how this professional development opportunity is relevant to your current work duties.
- For what other sources of funding have you applied for this professional development opportunity?
- Please describe university activities in which you have been involved in the last 12 months outside of your typical job duties.
Please note: Professional Development Grants are no longer processed on a first-come, first-served basis. In order to ensure all university employees have an equal chance to apply for this funding opportunity, the Education and Career Development Committee will review and score applications based on applicant answers to the questions in the application.
DUE TO UNIVERSITY RESTRICTIONS RELATED TO COVID-19, PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT GRANTS WILL NOT BE AWARDED DURING THE SPRING 2020 APPLICATION CYCLE FOR TRAVEL OR OPPORTUNITIES THAT WOULD CONFLICT WITH CURRENT UNIVERSITY POLICIES.
- Only complete submissions will be considered.
- Online application submissions are strongly preferred. If you are unable to submit online, please use the following alternatives:
- Applications will only be accepted during the submission period as noted below.
For the current submission period,
- Applicants may apply for funds before or during the professional development opportunity.
- Applications will be taken within the submission period (April 15-30, 2020).
- Applications will be reviewed by the Education and Career Development Committee during the review period (May 1-14, 2020).
- Applicants will be notified several days after the close of the review period (May 26, 2020)
- All funds granted during this submission period must be spent between May 26, 2020 and November 30, 2020 and must be reimbursed by November 30, 2020.
- Applicants who are not selected during this submission period may reapply for funds in the next submission period.
SUBMISSION PERIOD: April 15-30, 2020
REVIEW PERIOD: May 1-14, 2020
EXPECTED NOTIFICATION: May 26, 2020
FUNDING MUST BE REQUESTED FOR REIMBURSEMENT BY: November 30, 2020
***If your professional development opportunity will occur after November 30, 2020, please do not apply in the current submission period. Instead, please apply for the next submission period. Additional details and specific deadlines about the next submission period will be shared on the website soon.***
Requirements for Reimbursement:
- Receipts must be emailed to email@example.com within five (5) business days after the event. Receipts must be turned in no later than November 30, 2020. If reimbursement materials are not submitted by November 30, 2020, Professional Development Grant funds are forfeited.
For questions concerning the application process, contact the Employee Forum at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer 2020 Recipients
|Christy Baldridge||Purchasing Services||Project Management Professional certification exam and PMI membership|
|Catherine Barnes||NC TraCS||Textbooks for Clinical Research and Product Development Graduate Program
|Betsy Busald||Carolina Performing Arts||Lilly School of Philanthropy Course Principles and Techniques of Fundraising|
|Liz Crowley||Office of Sponsored Research||2020 Data Matters - Data Science Short Course Series|
|Jay Eason||College of Arts & Sciences||Doctor of Education: Organizational Leadership Higher Education: Dissertation Continuation Course|
|Donna James-Whidbee||Employee & Management Relations||SHRM Membership|
|Sandra Lazo del la Vega||City & Regional Planning||Leadership Fundamentals - Center for Creative Leadership|
|Brianna Marini||Med Admin---Human Resources||Senior Professional in Human Resources Certification|
|Adam Shirley||Allied Health Services||Strategic Planning Management 5750-850|
|Jessica Wilkinson||Frank Hawkins Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise||Basic Economic Development|
Winter 2019 Recipients
|Katie Becker||School of Law, Clinical Programs||Week-long Border Immersion, Douglas AZ|
|Stephan Iannotta||Athletic Event Management||National Intercollegiate Athletics Safety and Security Summit, Columbus OH|
|Cherrelle Lawrence||Kenan-Flagler Undergraduate Business Program||2019 Annual SoACE Conference, Memphis TN|
|Amber Lennon-Harmon||Kenan-Flagler Undergraduate Business Program||2019 Annual SoACE Conference, Memphis TN|
|Rachel Manor||Campus Health Sports Medicine||36th Annual Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutrition (SCAN) Symposium, Revolutionizing Performance Nutrition, Boston MA|
|Theresa McKire||Housing||Southeastern Association of Housing Officers, Louisville KY|
|Laura Mindlin||NC Botanical Garden||Community Food Systems Conference, Savannah GA|
|Tania Osborn||Applied Physical Sciences||SRA: A Walk-Through of NIH Awards with Workshops on Export Controls and NIH Training Grants, Chapel Hill NC|
|Kristen Polzien||Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center||Koru Mindfulness Teacher Certification|
|Elizabeth Pugliese||Psychiatry||Masters of Clinical Mental Health Counseling|
|Roopali Shrivastava||Biomedical Engineering||NICHD Contraceptive Development Meeting, Houston TX|
|Ruben Watson||University Development Office||CASE District III Conference, Orlando FL|
Summer 2019 Recipients
|Betty Ann Morgan||Office of Sponsored Research||NCURA Region III Annual Conference, Hollywood Beach, Florida|
|Richard Combs Jr.||University Career Services||SoACE Employer Relations Summit, Tampa FL|
|Ramsankar Basak||Radiation Oncology||ASTRO Annual Meeting 2019, Chicago IL|
|Alyssa LaFaro||Office of Research Communications||Science Writers' Conference 2019, State College PA|
|Heather Minchew||Romance Studies||NAFSA Region VII Conference 2019, Orlando FL|
|Catherine Barnes||NCTraCS||Textbooks for Clinical Research and Product Development Master's Program|
|Mary Rosage||University Career Services||NCACE Conference, Wilmington NC|
|Tiffany Temple||ITS Information Security Office||ISC2 CISSP Certification Exam|