- This event has passed.
2017 UNC “Food for All” Campus Food Drive
October 20, 2017 @ 8:00 am - March 8, 2018 @ 5:00 pmFree
UNC ‘Food for All’ Year-Long Food Drive
2017-2018 Donation Totals
During the 2017-2018 UNC Food For All Campus-wide Food Drive, we received donations equaling over 3265 meals for hungry North Carolinians!
Help us fight hunger in North Carolina! In conjunction with the ‘Food for All’ University theme, the Employee Forum is hosting a year-long food drive effort which will benefit the Food Bank of Central & Eastern NC and the Carolina Cupboard here on campus. This food drive will contribute to Harris Teeter’s Million Meals Challenge, which is a competition between UNC, Duke, NC State, and Wake Forest University to raise the most food throughout the course of the 2017-2018 athletic season. Donations will be accepted at several special events throughout the year, as well as a few permanent bins placed in strategic places throughout campus.
Donation booths will be set up at the following special events:
- Employee Appreciation Day (Carolina Union)- October 20, 2017
- “Ruck for Hunger” Food Drive — November 3-11, 2017
Ruck For Hunger, a canned food drive hosted by Carolina Veterans Organization, will benefit TABLE in Carrboro, NC. This special event will have specific donation bins placed in various businesses on Franklin Street and several on campus locations (Ruck For Hunger Donation Bin Locations). On Veterans Day, November 11, 2017, members of the Carolina Veterans Organization, UNC ROTC, and other volunteers will have a ruck march to collect the canned goods, leaving from the Carolina Veterans Resource Center (located at 211 Branson Street) at 9 am. (On-Campus donations will be picked up on November 10, 2017)
- Employee Appreciation/ Military Appreciation Football Game versus Western Carolina at Tar Heel Town- November 18, 2017
This event will specifically benefit the Food Bank of Central & Eastern NC as well as the Durham VA Food Pantry in honor of the Military Appreciation Game
- UNC vs Pitt Men’s Basketball Game- Dean E. Smith Center, February 3, 2017 at 8:00 PM
More special events to come!
Donation Bin Locations
You can also bring your donations to a bin around campus throughout the year!
**List of locations: (UNC Food For All Campus Wide Food Drive Donation Bin Locations)
**On-Campus bins now available.
The Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina has identified its most-needed items (Food Bank Suggested Donations)
Carolina Cupboard also has a list of suggested donations (Carolina Cupboard Suggested Donations)
TABLE, Inc. references their most needed food items here (TABLE Suggested Donations)
Durham VA Food Pantry is especially in need of Hormel Complete Meals (both dinners and breakfasts) as well as other non-perishable foods. (Durham VA Suggested donation list)
Monetary donations will be accepted at the above special events!
- $1 equals five meals for hungry North Carolinians.
Volunteer with us:
- Volunteers who participate in drop-off and pick-up efforts, as well as volunteers at our special events, are eligible to take Community Service Leave (CSL) with supervisor approval. Please email Katie Musgrove at email@example.com if you are interested in volunteering.
- Unfortunately, if the special event drives are outside of regular business hours, CSL is not available for these volunteers.
- For more information on how to take CSL, please visit the UNC Human Resources website.
For more information about the Million Meals Challenge, please visit: