Employee Forum Agenda

9:15 a.m.–Meeting: Pleasants Family Assembly Room, Wilson Library

I.    Call to Order & Opening Remarks—Chair Charles Streeter

II.  Welcome Guests & Members of the Press

III. Special Presentations

  • James W. Dean, Jr., Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost of the University

James W. Dean Jr. is executive vice chancellor and provost of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the former dean at UNC Kenan-Flagler, where he  is a professor of organizational behavior.

Leadership, organizational change, strategic decision making, international management, and organizational performance improvement are the focus of his research, teaching and consulting.  Dr. Dean served as dean of UNC Kenan-Flagler from 2008-2013; senior associate dean from 2007-2008; associate dean of Executive Development from 2002-2007; and associate dean of the MBA Program from 1998-2002.

As associate dean for Executive Development, he increased the number and global reach of UNC’s non-degree programs, which are ranked among the world’s best. During his tenure, revenues for the programs increased by nearly 60 percent. UNC Kenan-Flagler is especially well known for its custom-designed programs for such organizations as ExxonMobil, the United States Navy, Duke Energy, Cisco and Nucor.

As associate dean of the MBA Program, Dr. Dean led an innovative re-design of the curriculum, created corporate advisory boards and developed a strong team of professionals to guide admissions, student services and career services. As a result, the quality of the MBA class, the curriculum and the quality and number of companies recruiting rose significantly.

He has participated in research, teaching and/or consulting projects with many companies, including ALCOA, Boeing, Corning, DuPont, ExxonMobil, GE, Honeywell and the U.S. Navy.

Dr. Dean has published his research in many of the top academic and business journals, including the Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Harvard Business Review, Organization Science and Strategic Management Journal.

He served as program director of the National Science Foundation research program, Transformations to Quality Organizations, which was jointly sponsored by the government and the private sector. He served as an examiner for the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award for six years.

  • Jeff McCracken, University’s Director of Public Safety and Chief of Police

Chief McCracken was appointed head of Public Safety August 1, 2007.  He helms a department with a $25 million budget and responsibility for law enforcement, security, transit, transportation planning and traffic and parking.  The department includes 200 permanent and 100 temporary employees, including 25 sworn reserve police officers and 52 full-time sworn officers. 

McCracken, who joined the university department in 1993 as an investigator, quickly rose through the ranks, becoming operations major in 1997 and deputy director in 1998. He has served as interim director of the department since March 2007. He also serves as the president of the N.C. Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators.  UNC-Chapel Hill’s Department of Public Safety has met 446 law enforcement standards to earn accreditation, making it one of the few accredited university public service agencies in the country. 

(http://www.carrborocitizen.com/main/2007/08/02/mccracken-veteran-law-enforcement-officer-tapped-for-unc-public-safety-post/)

  • Barbara Silver, Tobacco Treatment Specialist

Barbara Silver, MA, CTTS, is the tobacco treatment specialist for the UNC Nicotine Dependence Program.  She received her Master’s Degree in Developmental Psychology from the Teachers College of Columbia University.  She has been a certified cessation counselor since 2000. 

IV.    Human Resources Update—Associate Vice Chancellor Matt Brody

V.      Approval of December Minutes

VI.     Old Business

VII.   New Business

  • Planning for Next 6 Months

VIII.  Forum Committee Reports

  • Bylaws Committee: Rotating Chair
  • Carolina Community Garden Advisory: Arlene Medder
  • Communications and Public Relations: Katie Turner
  • Education and Career Development: Lois Douglass-Alston/Matt McKirahan
  • Membership & Assignments: Paula Goodman
  • Recognition & Awards:  Michael Highland
  • Personnel Issues:  James Holman (November minutes)
    • Compensation & Benefits: Shelby Long
    • Legislative Action: David Fraley
    • Staff Relations, Policies & Practices: Yvonne Dunlap
  • UNC System Staff Assembly: Michael Highland/James Holman/Charles Streeter/Clifton Webb
  • Executive Committee: Charles Streeter

IX.     Announcements/Questions

  • Community Meeting on Data Breach  – Thursday, January 16, 2014 from 3:00p.m. to  4:30p.m. in the Union Auditorium of the Frank Porter Graham Student Union

X.      Adjournment

MINUTES

January 8, 2014 Employee Forum minutes

Attending (those who signed in):  Dan Barmmer, Nancy Beach, Deborah Bush, Jackie Copeland, Tammy Cox, Lois Douglass-Alston, Yvonne Dunlap, David Fraley, Maggie Grant, Melissa Haugh, James Holman, Todd Hux, Karen Jenkins-Cheek, Matt McKirahan, Chris Meinecke, Jackie Overton (ex-officio), Chris Powe, Kathy Ramsey, Christina Rodriguez, Tara Smith, Charles Streeter, Clifton Webb

Chair Charles Streeter called the meeting to order at 9:20 a.m.  He noted that the Forum will hold a community meeting on the University data breach next week, and said it was important that the Forum have a good turnout.  He encouraged Facilities Services employees to get there as they can, saying that the time of the meeting was established to give second-shift employees a chance to attend.

The Chair welcomed Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor James Dean to make opening remarks.  Dean appreciated the invitation and noted that he had met the Chair a couple of months ago.  Dean said that he had worked closely with Director of Athletics Bubba Cunningham to review recruitment and graduation practices at the University.  He was around one-third of the way through this process.  He noted the recent media attention the University has received from the News & Observer and Wall Street Journal, among other media outlets.  He hoped that these organizations would look at what the University has done and is doing.

Dean noted the nationally recognized work of the University’s Carolina Counts program.  He said that Carolina Counts has been singled out as the best effort in higher education for cost-cutting and a role model for the UNC System, among other campuses.  Dean congratulated Joe Templeton and Mike Patil for this success.  He shuttered to think how the University would run without staff employees.  He recalled the exceptional staff who made outstanding contributions to his work at the Kenan-Flagler Business School.  Dan Barmmer asked what Dean expected Carolina Counts to focus on next.  Dean said that he had met with Templeton and Patil recently and noted that this approach might be adapted at the UNC System level.  He said that this would do UNC-Chapel Hill good from a reputational standpoint but they would certainly be missed.  Todd Hux asked about a report of Carolina Counts’ findings and cost savings.  Dean said that this report does exist on-line.

Lois Douglass-Alston appreciated the work that Dean has done with the Athletics department.  Dean said that he could identify three levels related to athletes and students at the University.  First, he granted that the University has made mistakes in a range of areas, such as in course offerings and grades being changed.  However, the difficulties are limited to a small group as far as the University knows, Dean said.  He hoped that the media will take notice of the limits of the problem.  Secondly, the University is now working to fix its entire system from the bottom up, from admissions decisions to scholarships given to academic support.  He said that the University should reclaim its leadership status on the heels of these reforms.  Thirdly, the contract between the University and its student-athletes may undergo changes related to the NCAA.  Dean commented that student-athletes have not been forced to take the deal offered by the NCAA system and that many aspire their whole lives for just this chance.  He noted that student-athletes are not exploited if they enter their contracts willingly.  He said that the University informed its athletes that 90% of them will not play professional sports.  He said that student-athletes must accept this reality.  He said that the deal offered student-athletes was fair if those involved understand the deal and are prepared to get a degree.  He said that if the University accepts student-athletes who can’t or don’t complete their degree and are not prepared for life, then shame on us.

Koyah Rivera shared a concern as to how the University will handle courses and grading, noting changes associated with recent reforms.  Dean noted the recent article in the Chronicle of Higher Education on University efforts to check on classrooms and syllabi.  He drew a parallel to the complexity of the tax code, which has resulted because of the range of problems that have arisen over the years.  This complexity can be disruptive to those doing their jobs in this area.  Yvonne Dunlap asked about organizational effectiveness and areas of business in the University System.  Dean said that the University was doing a pretty good job in this area but he was struck that the University had not established a robust set of performance goals.  He said that the University was now working on these goals.  He noted that goals in the private sector are much clearer than those in the academic sector.  He has asked his deans for a set of goals and measures.

The Chair introduced Chief Jeff McCracken to speak on the University’s night parking plan.  McCracken said that he had pulled out slides from his previous presentations to the Forum.  He noted that Public Safety began work on the University’s five-year plan in July, 2010, meeting with consultants in September of that year.  Public Safety worked several times to incorporate the plan with stakeholder feedback.  Public Safety presented the five-year plan to Public Safety in January 2011 and in February of that year made final modifications.  McCracken noted that the University had $6.5 million in additional obligations that required funding support.  Revenue streams to meet this obligation include the park and ride fee, which has been implemented on a sliding scale, as well as the new night parking fee.  McCracken emphasized that the night parking fee is meant to capture those who are not contributing to the parking system.

Night parking will take effect in August 2014.  Anna Schwab asked about those who work off campus having to buy a separate night parking permit when they have a day permit.  McCracken said that these employees will not have to buy a night parking permit.  Schwab asked if the University will increase the number of parking meters on campus.  McCracken said that these will not increase.  Tammy Cox asked if McCracken had received feedback on the plan.  McCracken said that no one wants to pay more for parking, or to pay a new parking fee.  However, the University has a need to meet its obligations, and it seemed most fair to identify those who are not contributing to the system.  Cox asked if the night parking permit structure had received approval from the Board of Trustees.  McCracken said that the Board had approved the structure.  The increase in student fees had gone through a separate process, but had also received approval.  Matt McCracken noted increases in TTA fees.  He asked about those such as CAPS members who do not contribute to the University’s parking plan.  Cheryl Stout said that park and ride permit holders do not have to purchase an additional permit.  Those with free GoPasses will have to pay.  Todd Hux asked how much the University had lost through the court case that had dictated that all Public Safety fines and levies go to the public school system.  McCracken said that this figure exceeds $1 million a year.  Stout said that the University has created more gated areas that do not require as much enforcement to protect permit holders’ spaces.  Hux asked how this big hit affects Public Safety.  McCracken said that this decision had made a big impact on Public Safety’s budget.  The University had fought this case in court.

James Holman asked about a hypothetical case of a third-shift employee who has to stay after hours.  Would that employee be able to stay on campus or must they get another permit?  McCracken said that he did not envision the need for this employee to get another permit.  Chris Meinecke asked about security updates.  McCracken said that Public Safety has worked with Student Government to improve these updates.  Public Safety has worked on obtaining a comprehensive list of cell phone information to communicate emergency information to the campus community.  He also noted that the sexual assault prevention task force will issue its recommendations this semester.  The Chair thanked McCracken and Stout for their remarks.

The Chair introduced tobacco cessation specialist Barbara Silver.  Silver noted that her office services the UNC Health Care System.  She said that employees desiring the 80/20 health care plan had to attest to not using tobacco or being in a tobacco cessation program.  She noted that her office’s 12 week program was free to HCS employees and their dependents.  She said that this kind of counseling doubles the chance that an individual will quit smoking.  Silver said that she was a former smoker who had watched her parents die from tobacco-related complications.  Tammy Cox asked if Silver’s work is available to University employees at cost.  Silver said that she could provide this service.  Deborah Bush asked about electronic cigarettes.  Silver said that these are not regulated FDA regulated, and no one knows how much nicotine these cigarettes contain.  Chris Meinecke asked if Silver’s office is involved in publicizing the Great American Smokeout.  Silver said that she would be happy to work with publicizing this event, which takes place the third Thursday in November.  Christine Rodriguez asked about an employee of the School of Medicine participating in the Family Medicine clinic.  Silver said that the clinic would provide medicine at the best costs possible.

The Chair introduced Associate Vice Chancellor Matt Brody to give the Forum’s customary Human Resources update.  Brody noted the general regard that employees feel for outgoing Vice Chancellor Brenda Malone.  He anticipated working closely with the Employee Forum and he always appreciated the role the Forum has played in campus discussions.  He was particularly a big fan of candid and respectful dialogue.  He said that the typical employee tries their best but still has a potential for improvement.  He said meetings with the Forum are an opportunity to get an on-the-ground perspective about campus events.  Brody said it can be difficult for senior leadership to get a total picture, and he appreciated the Forum’s advice and help to provide this perspective.

Regarding the campus data breach, Brody thanked the Forum for quickly organizing the community meeting on this subject for January 16.  He said that the University had made a mistake, but was not the only world-class organization to do so.  He noted that this is principally an IT issue, but that Human Resources is responsible for conveying employee concern and keeping the leadership of the Forum informed about developments.  He encouraged listeners to read the University’s Frequently Asked Questions page (FAQ) for more details on this issue.  He said that employees affected will be offered optional credit monitoring by the University.  He said that individuals have made a mistake and that this mistake was not intentional, although it does cause a great deal of concern.  He said that it takes time to figure out a response to these situations.  He said that the University had tried its best, but was not perfect.  Employees with questions about the incident or the University’s response can e-mail incident@unc.edu for more information.  He granted that employees have the right to expect that the University would do better with their data.  Matt McKirahan asked where the FAQs document is posted.  Brody said that the FAQ pages is posted on the ITS website at its.unc.edu as well as on the University’s home page at www.unc.edu.  James Holman asked where employees should go for information about the optional credit protection.  Brody said that this information is included in the notification letter.  He said that he would ask Senior Director of Communications Kathy Bryant to follow up on this question.  Holman asked what had taken so long for the University to offer this protection.  Brody said that it takes time for the University to react and communicate its actions to the mass of emplo6yees.

Kathy Bryant noted that the spring course catalogue for professional development opportunities has been issued through June.  She invited all listeners to visit the catalogue online.  She was pleased that the University has been able to maintain professional development classes that are free or at minimal charge to departments.  Dan Barmmer asked if professional development classes are limited to supervisors.  Matt Brody said that some of these classes covered general skills, some are aspirational, and some are designed to fulfill the University’s supervisory training requirements.  He said that the University has made it a priority to train all line supervisors in supervisory training classes, and so has limited entry to some classes strictly to supervisors.  He said that the University has a limited amount of training resources.  Todd Hux asked about 360 evaluations for supervisors and why this process seems to have never gone anywhere.  Brody noted a variety of thought concerning 360 evaluations.  He thought that they can be important as a feedback tool but not as a means to evaluate supervisors.  Brody said that many employees believe they should be able to evaluate their supervisors as they are evaluated.  He did not subscribe to that view, but he believed feedback can be useful.  Senior Director Gena Carter said that the University had implemented a pilot program that was pointedly not part of the performance management process.  She said that this was more of a “180” evaluation, however.  She also said that Human Resources would look to implement more pilot programs in departments across campus rather than a general campus-wide rollout.  Brody mentioned the possibility of implementing an on-line performance management system in the near future.  Deborah Bush asked about resources for faculty supervisors.  Brody said that Human Resources and the Center for Faculty Excellence are available to assist faculty supervisors.

Senior Director Ashley Nicklis noted that 2014 annual enrollment deductions will show up in this week’s biweekly pay check.  She asked listeners to check their pay stubs for accurate enrollment deductions.  She said that employees can expect benefits statements for 2013 to be sent out by the end of February.  Nicklis noted that employee discounts are available for graduate preparatory exams, as well as other items.  The Chair noted that State withholding changes are still underway, and employees can still update their withholding with Benefits through the end of the year.

The Chair called for a motion to approve the December meeting minutes.  Jackie Overton made this motion, seconded by Clifton Webb.  The motion was approved by acclamation.

The Chair revisited the Forum’s list of goals and activities for 2013-14, generated in July, 2013.  He noted that the document with this information had been distributed to delegates via Sharepoint.  He noted that the June retreat had been a point of transition.  He noted that Cheryl Stout is due to give an update on night parking.  He recalled questions from an employee about the park and ride decision that had not kept up with presentations previously made to the Forum.  He said that the Forum must work to communicate its agendas and other information to the greater body of employees.

The Chair noted the upcoming community meeting on the University’s data breach.  He noted a desire among members of the Executive Committee to obtain free Student Recreation Center memberships for employees.  The committee also would like an update on the University’s GED program.  The Chair noted that the Forum has been asked to participate in the Martin Luther King, Jr. food collection effort.  He said that the Forum will likely involve itself in a February food drive to benefit the local shelter.  He noted that the Forum will soon hold elections and will host a peer recognition banquet in May.  He also hoped that the Forum would hold a second community meeting featuring UNC System President Tom Ross, among other guests.  He said that the committee wanted to continue notary public and parliamentary procedure classes and to do something with regard to Habitat for Humanity for returning veterans.  He asked the group for ideas on activities in March and April.  He noted that there had been a suggestion that the Forum hold a mobile meeting in April.  He also said that he had been approached with the possibility of the Forum taking over administration of the twice a year Red Cross blood drive on a permanent basis.

The Chair said that the Chancellor had mentioned the possibility of funding a “name” speaker for the Forum in the spring.  He asked that the Forum form a special committee to work on finding a speaker and handling booking and other matters.  One delegate mentioned Ilyana van Zandt.  The Forum indicated its general agreement with this suggestion, following a motion by Jackie Overton that was seconded by James Holman.  Twenty-one delegates voted in favor, with none opposed and no abstentions.

The Chair said that he wanted to partner with other departments to honor veterans through a Habitat for Humanity effort.  He asked that the Membership and Assignments committee discuss the March reception for the Forum’s anniversary.  He asked if the Forum preferred to hold a formal reception later in the day or that morning on the steps of the Wilson Library that morning.  He wanted to find ways to reach line employees.  Yvonne Dunlap suggested e-mailing all employees with an announcement about meetings the week before.  Paula Goodman suggested having balloons and cookies to attract passers-by.  Tammy Cox suggested that delegates bring co-workers who might be interested in the Forum to the March or April meeting.

The Chair noted that the Bylaws are under review, and the Forum will possibly receive a set of proposed Bylaws changes in February for consideration.  Dan Barmmer asked about the brochure that the Chair had been working on.  The Chair said that the brochure was complete and the Forum had sent a box of brochures for new employee orientation.  Jackie Copeland suggested putting the brochure on the Forum website.  Kathy Ramsey confirmed that employees can submit questions and comments via the website.  Kristen Lewis commented that the employee recognition program done in cooperation with Athletics had been a very good initiative that had gone away in recent years.  She said that it was a good chance for winners to receive lunch and a free football game at Kenan Stadium.  Paula Goodman suggested that the Forum try to find ways to give employees options and incentives in the place of pay raises.  Matt Brody noted that the University is not permitted to give bonuses for performance.  The University can maintain awards programs, but these require defined criteria and awards committees in each department.  Brody hoped that the University will be able to find a way to award spot bonuses of some type in the future.  Todd Hux commented that he hoped the University would find a way to publicize different opportunities available to its employees.  Lois Douglass-Alston suggested that the Education and Career Development committee find a way to liaison with different departments for this publicity effort.    The Chair commented that someone from the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce may come speak on benefits available to employees.

The Chair asked delegates to think seriously about this list of actions, as there are only 24 weeks or so left in the current term.  He would finalize the list for the Forum’s reference.

The Chair reported that the Bylaws committee was close to completing its work.  Interested delegates should contact Matt Banks to register their preferences.

There was no report from the Carolina Community Garden Committee.

The Communications and Public Relations committee plans to publish the next edition of InTouch in February.  The next book club meeting will discuss The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin Friday, January 31, at noon in the Bull’s Head bookshop.

Lois Douglass-Alston reported that the Education and Career Development committee had not met in December.

Paula Goodman said that the Membership and Assignments committee will meet in January to discuss elections and the March social.  The Chair led the Forum in a round of applause for the committee’s procurement of door prizes distributed in December.

James Holman said that the Personnel Issues committee had not met in December.

The Chair said that the UNC System Staff Assembly had not met in December but would meet January 29.  He said that the Executive Committee had worked on ideas discussed earlier in the meeting.

In the absence of further discussion, the meeting adjourned by acclamation at 11:35 a.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Matt Banks, Recording Secretary

Print Friendly